Friday 15 November 2013

REVIEWS FROM MENSA AND THE BOLTON NEWS

I was unaware that MENSA had a members publication (possibly an indication of stupidity on my part) but the following review seems to have been published both by them and The Bolton News. The MENSA review has just one added sentence: "Before you say, 'Oh no, not jazz'; just hang on a sec; I thought exactly the same until I listened - and I'm glad I did". I am entirely in agreement. Contemporary jazz (with some honourable exceptions), seems to lack Soul. Music should move rather than impress and I like to feel the hairs stand on my end or experience the joy of life through music when I hear a performance. 'Jazz' quite often seems so intellectual in this country and I wonder if that is part of the English character; that 'stiff upper lip-oh-God-don't-show-your-emotion type thing.